Monday, February 3, 2014

Once Upon A Time

So I got started on the 2014 Once Upon A Time Sampler from The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery over the weekend. I'm working on the border first, then I will do January and February, hopefully before the month is over! I don't think it should be too much of a problem as the border is going pretty quickly. I also think that having the border done will make it much easier to focus each month on just stitching that portion of the sampler rather than building the border as I go.

I'm really enjoying this piece so far:



I had the recommended fabric in my stash for this piece, but it was too boring for me, so I decided to us 28 ct. Jobelan in Sunset from Hand Dyed Fabrics by Stephanie, which I'm just in love with. I also had made the promise to myself to not buy any floss for this piece since I have such a huge stash. Well, when I did a floss toss, I realized I only have maybe half of the called for DMC floss for this piece, so I'm making substitutions galore! Those floss changes are going to be my way, besides the fabric, of making this piece unique to me. For example, all three of the colors used for the border at this point are substitutions from Mo's Floss. Mo is a sweet woman who runs a one person shop with hand dying flosses and she sells them for fantastically reasonable prices in comparison to other dyed threads. The flosses used so far in this piece are her Tin, Plum and Marine flosses. Considering how many substitutions I'm going to need to make, I'm sure I'm going to be able to dive into my stash of Mo's floss to make the appropriate changes:

My Mo's Floss Collection!
Until next time!
~ Katy

5 comments:

  1. I'm stitching this too. I look forward to see more of yours :) The fabric you have chosen is very pretty ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those colors look great! Can't wait to see this progress :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress, I love this chart, I am so tempted to get it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are further on than my daughter. i love to use colours in my stash, nothing is perfect, you can add to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What pretty fabric! You are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete