Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tale As Old As Time...

When I was growing up, Belle from Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite Disney princess...she was the one brunette in the bunch, like me. She loved to read, like me. She was her own person who wasn't born to royalty and didn't mind being herself, also like me. Sure, Cinderella had the best shoes, Sleeping Beauty had the best looking guy, and I'd love to have Jasmine's flying carpet (okay, yes, I know it was Aladdin's, but still....).

So I was really excited when my daughter, who is incredibly princess obsessed, asked me to stitch Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love for her. She saw it one day while looking over my shoulder while I was doing some stitchy shopping online. When she asked if I could make this for her, I said yes without hesitation because not only is it a beautiful piece, it's something that I think she could keep and treasure even after she grows out of her princess phase because it's not your typical "young girl" piece.

I took advantage of Sunday football games to start the piece! It's a pretty large piece, so though I'm starting in the center, I'm going to somewhat use my HAED stitching techniques with working by blocks on each page. We'll see how it goes!

Here's my progress as of today!
Beauty and the Beast Falling in Love - Started 9/9/12

This is the start of the bottom left corner of the castle and the foliage and details around it. It's going to be quite awhile before I get to the characters, as they are primarily located on the fourth of four pages in this chart, though we'll see glimpses of part of the Beast when we get to page two. Now, I really did love stitching this piece today...except for the yellow in the windows. I hate metallic threads and blending filaments...wait, I take that back. I hate working with metallic threads and blending filaments. I absolutely love the effects they create on pieces, but it's a pain in the you-know-where to work with them. So those yellow, shimmery squares did give me a fit...and I have lots more filament pieces to do later on in the piece...but I will prevail over them!

By the way, tomorrow starts HAED Appreciation Week! If you love HAED, or if you have never done one of their pieces and would like to start, take part in this great event to show Michelle how much you appreciate her site and all of her work! It's not a sale, though. It's a week that was organized by HAED fans to show our support for this great stitching source! I personally plan on purchasing at least two charts this week. I haven't narrowed it completely down yet to which two, but I'll be sure to post them once I purchase them!

I hope everyone had a great weekend and has a wonderful week!

Until next time!
~Katy

6 comments:

  1. It is such a gorgeous chart and definitely my favorite of the series. I can't wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really nice design! Good luck with the glitter thread... I just finished a kit that used a lot of them & they drove me crazy too ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy your daughter asked you to stitch this and that you started it =)
    it is such a wonderful design, really enchanting! =)
    Excellent start on it =)
    I know what you mean about the blending filament, the effect is really stunning, but I hat stitching it, too... It doesn't want to go through the hole of the needle, it doesn't want to go through the fabric smoothly....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a little trick for blending filament if you're actually blending it with regular floss...

    Do your regular floss cross stitch first, then go back over it with a half cross of filament. It's easier to work with, and it ends up looking more sparkly than it would if you stitched them together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. youve made a good start and those gold windows really show up - with Karens tip i usually use a smaller needle - help slip between those stitches as it can get quite crowded in there! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete