Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pretty Sky

For this pattern, I am working in a combination of cross-country stitching and solid ten by ten blocks. It's cross country in that I take one color thread and I try to finishes the stitches throughout the piece in that color, but I determine my next color to work on by the ten by ten blocks of stitches. I am trying to keep it so that I build consecutively larger squares. The first square was by itself, then two by two, then three by three, and so on. The beauty of this process is that I can clearly see the image coming to life from the middle outward, but since I'm doing cross-country stitching as well, I'm not limiting myself to only working on a specific square at any one point. It helps bring more of the image to life that gets clarified once I focus on the stitches in a given square.

I finished the five by five square yesterday. I'm starting to work on the six by six square now, and that led to a lot of sky being worked on tonight:
As of 1/22/13
More of the lovely pinks and oranges seen in the sky at sunset are now visible, and I know I'll be working on more sky the next couple of days as well. I am already very pleased at the progress I've made so far and look forward to seeing what else I can get done the rest of this week!

Until next time!
~Katy

8 comments:

  1. Looking lovely although I am not quite clear on what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sky has such pretty colours, the piece is really growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your piece is very pretty! I'm very interested in the process you described, but I'm not understanding. I have a HAED that I've put aside because really I can't see any progress at all. I started in the top right corner and have been doing the 10 X 10 squares. I don't have it in front of me but I probably went down 5 squares and then I'm trying to go all the way across to the top from the right to the left going down those 5 or so squares. It's mostly grey/blue (the sky). I'm bored with it and don't see anything at all taking shape. So now it's a UFO. And the thing is it's a really really pretty picture - or it's supposed to be. I'd like to try to understand your method a little more so maybe I can try to find my love for that piece again. Also do you highlight the area you've completed on your working copy? Just wondering how you keep up with it. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm really hoping that I will understand more. I'll read through again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katy

    This piece is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry...I should have said I'm stitching left to right...that makes more sense, right? You have inspired me to try rotation stitching. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pictures tonight and update my blog tomorrow with what's been going on. I'm not a very good blogger, but I'm going to keep trying. Again, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phew! I am not the only one, I tend to start with 10x10 square and from there work with the colours within that and work out, I find it faster and as you say things come to life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stitching is beautiful! I also try to finish all of one color in the surrounding area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty colors -- I look forward to seeing more of this one.

    ReplyDelete